It was great to see everyone today (at the same time) at practice – lots of new faces and familiar ones too. As we get ready to start our competitions for cross country a few house keeping items need to be completed.
- All athletes must be cleared. Please go to your Register My Athlete account and update to the current school year and select cross country
- Physicals are good for one year from the date. If you need to get a physical schedule one ASAP with your family physician, chiropractor (ask for a sports physical), Urgent care. Remember to bring your form to be signed. Forms can be downloaded from the site or ask coach for a copy
- New to Buena Sports? You will need to create an account on Register My Athlete. Follow the directions here: https://registermyathlete.com/
- ATHELETES MUST BE CLEARED to PRACTICE / COMPETE
- Sign up for XCSTATS https://xcstats.com/index.php on the main page select the schools, find Buena High School and then create an account. Our code is luvs2run!
OUR first XC competition is on Saturday Aug 25 for the Hoka One One 2 Mile at the Buena High School Track. First race is at 7 pm, athletes need to be at Buena at 6 pm
We are looking forward to this season! Coach Burns
Each year the Channel Islands Harbor Foundation (& Mile 26 store) ask our team for volunteers for their 4th of July 5k / 10k race in return they donate money to our team. We need 15 – 20 athletes / including 3-4 adults for the race on Wednesday.
Time: meet at Buena at 5:15 am to car pool or meet directly at the race at 5:30 am
Where: 3900 Bluefin Circle, Oxnard
We should be finished before 10:30 am.
No Boogie Nights this week.
Thank you for those that have signed up. The captains will be taking down names of those that will be volunteering.
Thank you ahead time!
On Saturday at 8 am, we have the opportunity to run (hike, walk) the Harmon Canyon trail. It’s the trail that goes next to Missionary church and the Clearpoint homes. Hopefully soon the trail will be open to the public. The girls distance team will be there. (Boys – check with your coach.) As well as some runners from VHS and FTHS. Parents and family (dogs on leashes too) can join us. Everyone that is going to be there needs to sign and bring the attached waiver – see attachment below (The trail is still private property)
Park on Kimball Rd and then cross Foothill at the light, then walk to the first driveway and this will take you to the beginning of the trail.
Boogie Nights is a major fundraiser for our team that not only benefits XC but also track and field. We are encouraging our sprints, jumps, throws athletes to come out and volunteer along with our distance kids.
We would also love to see more parents participate in this race either in a single race or sign up for the series 7 week = $115, this is just over $16 per race and includes a light meal (previous meals were wraps, pull pork sandwich, hot dog, vegetarian option always served too) provided by Aloha Steak house and a beer provided by Firestone Brewery for those 21 and over. How many places can you go out to and get a sandwich or burger and beer for this price? Plus you get outside on a Wednesday evening for some exercise- you don’t have to run – many walk, beautiful beach scenery, and most importantly it’s a fundraiser for our team. Click here for more information: Boogie Nights Summer Run Series – Ventura
Also, there is an opportunity this Sunday for students to earn community service hours, $20 for our team, and pancake breakfast by volunteering at the Love Run in Westlake. We know it’s a drive out there and it is early in the morning, but some of our student athletes need more community service hours.
Thank you for all your continued support of our Buena XC & Track and Field Team!
What a great season, we extend a big thank you to all who volunteered, donated and supported our athletes.
Here is information about our awards banquet:
Tuesday May 22- Banquet / Season Celebration
- 5:30 pm Dinner and video.
- Tacos by Juan Diaz $7 per person- fill out the attached form: Taco Dinner Form and bring it with your money in an envelope with your name on the outside.
- 6:15 pm Awards
- Bring a dessert to share. (coaches like chocolate chip cookies and lemon flavored desserts 😉
Other Upcoming events:
Boogie Nights Summer 5k- Every Wednesday through July 25th.
- This is a major fundraiser for cross country (and helps track too)
- We work this event (set up, course monitors, registration, timing, food, clean up)
- Meet at 4:00 pm for Set up by Crown Plaza and Aloha
- Dress warmly and be prepared to run. Bring water / snacks
- Usually finished with clean up by 7:30 pm
Sunday May 27 – Mountains to Beach Marathon
- Need a minimum of 20 volunteers
- Coaches will let you know what shifts to work.
- Fundraiser for our cross country team
- Complete Waiver
Monday May 21 – we start training again come to period 6 ready to work out. Can you start training now – yes of course!
We are preparing for our invitational this Saturday. We are the host of this event – which means we are responsible to make sure it runs smoothly. We need your help: Please sign up to volunteer or donate by clicking here: https://www.buenahighcctf.com/volunteer/
- Gordon Stewart Freshman & Sophomore Invitational – Saturday, April 21
- Start time 8:00 am
- Freshman & Sophomores compete – Juniors & Seniors help run the events
- Admission: Adults = $7, Students w/ school ID = $5;
- Concession with snacks and apparel will be available.
Click here for GSI Order of Events
If you have donations – please bring them to the meet as early as 7:30 am Saturday morning or drop off at the track Friday afternoon.
Thank you for all your support!